Happy Valentines Day Folks!

This week I have been working on a dress for Valentines Day. Initially I had planned on making a pencil skirt with this fabric. In fact, I already had the fabric cut out and ready to sew. But I wanted something a bit more dressy for V-Day, so I decided I was going to make a dress instead. I had only one yard of this fabric, so my only option really was to make a strapless bodice with the leftover fabric. Here is what I came up with

IMG_5866

IMG_5865To accessorize my V-Day outfit, I decided to go with this gorgeous clutch that I picked up on my last trip to India. Not sure exactly where, but mum and I were shopping in Sector 17, so this beauty is from the City Beautiful. The mink collar is a vintage buy from when I was living and studying in San Francisco. I threw on my favourite nude pumps, an arm bracelet that is a gift from my mum 🙂

IMG_5885

Here is the back view and side view:

IMG_5928

IMG_5811

I am debating between the mink collar and a black shawl. The shawl is borrowed from my mum. She just picked this up in Chandigarh (Shout out to the Sector 22 Market!) It’s very warm and  I love mixing my Indian pieces with western outfits.

IMG_5899

IMG_5900

IMG_5901

The pattern for the skirt is self drafted. Since I was in a pinch, I decided to use a pattern that I already had on hand: Mccalls M6838. I love the fit of the skirt, but I will admit that the bodice gave me a good amount of grief.

Because I didn’t have a lot of left over fabric, I had to create a facing. Ideally, a dress like this would be self faced or self lined on the bodice. The facing didn’t want to settle down, even though I understitched it. I also had to do a good amount of alteration to the top since it wasnt self drafted. I will definitely make this dress again with some revisions. The lesson learned here is to draft my own bodice next time for the perfect fit and self line the bodice .  I still love the dress.. but because I am not crazy about the bodice, so I am going to chop it off and turn this dress to a skirt.

Design details are below if you are interested in making your own.

behindseams2

PATTERN: I drafted the pattern for the skirt myself. It’s a fairly simple skirt. I used my sloper and added a few inches to the length. There really were no alterations required since the sloper is a custom fit.  For the bodice, I decided to use a commercial pattern. I opted for  Mccalls M6838.

If you want to make something similar, you can use Mccalls M6838 and combine it with any pencil skirt pattern. I did have to add one inch to the bottom of the bodice to lengthen it.

SEWING: The construction of this dress involved the following steps: Skirt—> Sewing up the front and back darts, sewing up the side seams. Bodice–> Sewing up the princess seams and side seams. Adding a facing to the neckline, attaching the bodice to the skirt by sewing up the waist seam and finally inserting the zipper and closing the centre back seam. Last step as always is to finish the hem.

SUPPLIES:  Fabric, I used about one yard, pattern,  thread and sewing machine (serger optional), 12-14 inch invisible zipper

I hope you enjoyed reading this and I hope this inspires you to sew and make something for yourself. See you next time and until then.. Happy Sewing :)

XOXO

8 Comments on Lady in Red: Valentines Day Dress

Leave a Reply