Hola Folks!! Hope you are having a wonderful Friday. I am so ready for the weekend!
Earlier this week I posted about a hi-lo t-shirt dress that was inspired by pinterest. I really did not have any time to go shopping so I was at the mercy of my fabric stash. Well.. I started off wanting to make a reversible grey and black dress, but that did not happen. I ran into SO many issues with the grey dress, it seemed like the sewing Gods were very angry with me.
I will save my rant for later, let me show what the black dress looks like. Design details below if you are interested in making your own version
I had this slinky knit in my fabric stash.. I had about 2 yards I think, so it was long enough to make the back floor length. I really like where the hem hits on the front.
I accessorized with this shoulder bag that also works as a clutch.
Here is the dress that inspired my project.. I think my version comes pretty close, although I couldnt replicate that pose…. even though I tried 🙂
Moving onto the DISASTER dress. I had so many issues with the grey dress. For starters, since I used a commercial pattern, it had a ridiculous amount of ease in it. It took multiple alterations to get the right fit. The area around the arms had so much excess fabric, that I ended up detaching the sleeves, taking in the shoulder seams and re-attaching the sleeve. But check this out, I attached one sleeve inside out and both sleeves backwards. If that wasnt enough, my serger started acting funny and the side seams looked like they had teeth coming out of them. Lastly, the hem line was a bit too short.. and well after I put on the garment, it just didn’t feel right. I was still determined after all these issues, so I decided to hem the neckline and sleeves and be done with it. Well, as I started to hem, my one and only twin needle broke. I was still determined to finish, so I decided to try the stretch stitch on my machine. Well that was a disaster too.. and the dress now looks like a craft project gone wrong. I mean.. a 4-year-old could probably do a better job.. Oh well!!! We all have failures in life. I do believe all things happen for a reason.. so I am finally getting a cover stitch machine this weekend. As for the dress, I am too embarrassed to even give it to goodwill… I think I will repurpose the fabric .
Anyways, back to the black dress…..
PATTERN: I used Mccalls M6886 view C as a base, then did the following pattern alterations: 1) shorten the hem in the front 2) shorten the sleeves and add bands to make it more dressy 3) lengthen the hem in the back 4) turn the back into a-line instead of pencil
If you are interested in seeing a step by step tutorial on how to do this alteration, let me know and I will be happy to document it.
FABRIC: I used a jersey knit. You can use any knit fabric
SEWING: The dress is easy to sew. You can use this technique to sew the dress up. For the hem, you can use a twin needle or a cover stitch. For the bottom hem, I serged but I did not hem as I didn’t feel it was necessary.
I hope that this inspired you to create something! Until next time, Happy Sewing and Happy Friday