I hope you are doing well and enjoying the summer. It is HOT here. Sunday was 100 degrees and today felt even hotter.
To beat the heat, I made these mommy and me dresses in a linen
I used a 100% linen fabric that was originally in a gold color. I decided to dye the fabric to a brighter yellow. I love a bright yellow and it felt more summer appropriate.
Both her and my dress have a keyhole opening on the back, with vintage buttons..
Here is a better view of the back…
Her dress is completely self drafted while mine is a New look that was modified…because I just can’t sew straight out the envelope.. I promise I have an uncontrollable desire to change things up. Details on how I modified the pattern are at the end of the post. I drafted the lantern sleeves myself..
Here is the side view. I LOVE the big sleeves.. so dramatic!
I really wanted to sew up a tunic look, so I chose a size 14, which is larger than my size. Since the pattern is made for knits, I took a flat pattern measurement for a top that I liked and used that measurement to determine which size to cut.
I added a bow to the front of her dress. She calls is “bowtique”. If you are familiar with cartoons, it has to do with Minnie Mouse.. 🙂 Oh and check out the photobomb! There is no pattern.. I just free-handed the bow and the skirt.. I did flat pattern the bodice for her..
I had a picture of her button too, but with all that hair its hard to see anything (she get it from her mamma 🙂
I chose these vintage buttons from a box full of goodies I picked up at an estate sale recently…Just love these little details…
PATTERN: I used New Look 6428 which is meant for a form-fitting knit dress, but I modified it. I chose this pattern because view D has french darts and I wanted those. I cut a size 14 which would give me a loser fit. I made the following pattern alterations:
- Lower the neckline on front bodice by 1/2 inch
- create a keyhole on the back neckline
- shorten the sleeves to accommodate the lantern part
- Self drafted the “lantern” portion of the sleeve
I also modified the facings since I made changes to the neckline and created the keyhole on the back .
This was my original sketch… you can see why I picked the New Look pattern… even though its meant for knits.. the pattern view D had french darts and 3/4 sleeves which makes it a good base for my bodice..
FABRIC: I used a gorgeous 100% Linen. It was originally a gold color and I dyed it a bright yellow to meet the shade of my inspiration garment. The original color is on the left.. desired color on the right.
This was my 1st time dyeing fabric. I am very pleased with the way it turned out.
I hope you enjoyed my DIY project and that this inspired you to sew 🙂 Let me know what you are working on at the moment.. I’d love to hear from you.. also check out my ongoing projects on my Facebook page.