I have been sewing up a storm. The last week was probably the busiest sewing week of the year for me. I was working on multiple projects for myself and also many for VBS. Starting today, I am in mental vacation mode and also in selfish sewing mode. All I want to do is eat, sleep and sew! While that is not exactly possible, I do plan on spending every free moment in my studio.
Here is my latest sewing project. I made this DIY Date night tank top.
I participated in the Fabricista Blog Summer of T Shirts Event and this was my spin on Mccalls 6964, view A. I’ll be showing you how I hacked this basic t-shirt pattern to get something a lot more dressy!
Here is my sketch….
which was the inspiration for this top…
There is nothing special about the back of the tank. Its pretty basic. While I did not alter the armhole on the pattern, I did end up lowering the armhole by about 1/2 an inch after I did my 1st fitting.
Here is a close up of the lace. I sewed it such a way that it looks like a cap sleeve. The chains are from the beading section of Joann Fabrics. I hand stitched them down on the shoulder seam of each shoulder, catching the stitches in the seam allowance of the shoulder seams.
Here is a close up of the ruffle. To create the ruffle, I used one long strip of chiffon, folded it lengthwise, and stitched it to create a tube. Then flipped it right side out, and created some loose box pleats on it. I wanted voluminous ruffle, very unstructured… and I was able to accomplish that with the chiffon. I love chiffon!
- Medical exam paper (typically for my working patterns)
- Banner paper , typically for my production patterns. I like using banner paper the most, because it is sturdy, easily accessible and inexpensive (Office supply stores like Staples and even Walmart carry them.)
- The green is the stitch line marked, which is 5/8 from the pink line, which is the original cut line.
- The only alteration I made is the neckline, I squared off 1/2 inch from the centre front, to convert the V neck to a scoop neck. The squaring off is important to prevent a pointy shape. Then I drew a scoop neck as desired. This is drawn in purple. I did not lower the neckline.