About what I made and how I styled it
Here is another long-term UFO! I initially made these pants in January, but I was on vacation and did not have access to my serger. So I deconstructed the main seams in February so I could serge the raw edges and re-construct them. Well, this pair sat on my cutting table for about 6 months 🙂 I FINALLY finished them! YAY me!
These are out of print Burda 7122. I have sewn this up before and thoroughly enjoyed them. This fabric was such a joy to work with.
It pressed beautifully for a nice tailored look. The fabric is a dark blue, it looks almost black. This scarf is my latest obsession too.
Here is my Bollywood side pose for ya. My mum took these pics, so there was definitely a lot of goofing around.
I recently also wore these pants with this leopard crop top I made the last week.
To find out more about these pants, read below..
PATTERN: Burda 7122, previously made HERE. I lowered the waist by an inch as these black ones are super high waisted.
FABRIC: I used a denim sateen from Fabric Mart Fabrics. It has a small amount of stretch, so these pants are more comfortable than the black ones made in a gabardine.
SEWING: These pants are not a bad pair to attempt if you have never made one. Mainly because an invisible zipper is simpler to install than a front fly zipper.
I love this style of pants and will be making them again, but I will draft my own pants from my sloper.Did you get any weekend sewing done? Do tell!
I hope you are well. I just finished this top two nights ago. This was a long-term UFO (unfinished object) sitting in my studio for months.
Now I am wondering why I didn’t finish it sooner because I am completely and totally in love with it.
Hope you are having a good week so far! My daughter turned three last month and we celebrated by having her friends over at a bounce house. She requested a pink Minnie Mouse dress for her birthday and I had exactly what I wanted to make in mind. A few weeks before her party, I was out shopping at Estate sales, which is a hobby of mine. I came across this prom dress from the 80’s that screamed shoulder pads and sleeve headings. But I saw the potential. All I could think was Minnie Mouse 🙂 So I did some nip and tuck and gave this dress a makeover.
Happy Monday! I wanted to share with you a couple of dresses I made a few weeks ago. I am just getting around to photographing these pillowcases dresses:
Initially, I had purchased this sheet set to create pillow cases for my daughter.. and a fitted sheet to match. I re-purposed the adult size pillow cases to make smaller pillowcases. Jazz didn’t care for them at all. She insisted on having her boring white pillowcase back. So I re-purposed them yet again into pillowcase dresses. This is my 1st time applying bias tape on the arms and neck. It isn’t perfect, but I am sure it will be perfect for some little girl. Besides, perfection is over-rated and exhausting. I wake up every morning aiming to be an “imperfectionist” 🙂
Here is the back view
I used pink bias tape on the 2nd dress. On this one, I topstitched the bias tape as opposed to stitching in the ditch and it didn’t ripple.
I know that these are going to girls that have nothing to wear, lace is obviously not needed, but I want them to feel pretty. So I added this vintage lace . I created ties for the waist with leftover fabric. I am so in love with the lace. I found that lace at an estate sale..
Here is what the dress looks like without the tie.
A little bit of backstory on these dresses. I have been wanting to sew for charity for a while, but it never happened. After I moved into the basement studio, I have been in here so much sewing, might as well sew some more 🙂 I met a couple from Haiti a month or so ago, who told me they send barrels of clothes back to Haiti. I took their contact info, but then misplaced it. Fast forward a few weeks, I finally hired some help to come watch my daughter so I can work on Mondays. Her church does a lot of outreach work, including sewing dresses for girls in Haiti. I jumped on the opportunity. She is taking these to her Church to be mailed. My hope is that I can contribute one or two dresses a month.
I have been sewing for another little girl….My darling Jazz! I made her a beautiful dress from an 80’s prom dress, here is the before.. I will post the outcome soon. It turned out so pretty. She loved it.
I will see you soon with the before and after of the Minnie mouse dress.. and you can vote on who wore it best 🙂
HI Fashionistas! Happy FriYAY!!!
So excited the weekend is here. I am so ready to unwind, relax and sew! We don’t always love sharing our failures but here is a t-shirt dress I made that never made the cut. I made this dress last year and it didn’t make it past this picture. Looking back, this dress does not look that bad, but it went straight to the goodwill pile.
Here is the scuba knit peplum top I mentioned a few weeks ago. It’s done. I wore it to church last week. It is made of a thin scuba knit from the Nicole Miller collection. I found it at Joanns. It’s really not a true peplum. It’s technically a fit and flare, even though its takes the silhouette of one.
I have been sewing up a storm. The last week was probably the busiest sewing week of the year for me. I was working on multiple projects for myself and also many for VBS. Starting today, I am in mental vacation mode and also in selfish sewing mode. All I want to do is eat, sleep and sew! While that is not exactly possible, I do plan on spending every free moment in my studio.
Here is my latest sewing project. I made this DIY Date night tank top.